Monday, October 25, 2010

WotD 10/23/10 - January 2001 (Gerard, Viola)

Sorry for the delay - spent the weekend with family and was away from my laptop. I wrote this on my phone Saturday night, but couldn't get it to post. Guess I'll have to read the manual again!



Word of the day 10/23/2010
Parse: transitive verb;
1. To resolve (as a sentence) into its component parts of speech with an explanation of the form, function, and syntactical relationship of each part.
2. To describe grammatically by stating its part of speech, form, and syntactical relationships in a sentence.
3. To examine closely or analyze critically, especially by breaking up into components.
4. To make sense of; to comprehend.
5. (Computer Science) To analyze or separate (input, for example) into more easily processed components.

Timeline: January 2001 (Gerard, Viola)

“I've missed you my violet.”

Viola blinked twice and rubbed her eyes. Nothing changed. She pinched her arm, yelped. Not a dream, then.

“Dad?”

“I made the right decision, dearest. You'll see that someday. This was for the best.”

She sat up in bed, too stunned by his presence to parse the meaning of his words. He had been missing for a year, and she'd started to give up hope of ever seeing him again. There were so many things she wanted to tell him, so many questions she needed to ask. Forming words seemed impossible though. She couldn’t believe he was in her room!

“I can't stay long, my violet. I just wanted to see you. It has been a long year, and I fear we are in for several more difficult years.”

“Why?” Why couldn't they go back to normal? Why couldn't he come home? She needed him. Sebastian and Olivia did their best, but they weren't adequate substitutes for her Daddy.

“Neither one of us is ready. I am afraid we must be patient.”

“Patient for what?”

“For it to be our time.”

“Dad?”

“Soon. Until then, keep this between us, my dear. The others won’t understand.”

No comments:

Post a Comment